How soon can I travel after a minimally invasive heart surgery?

Dr. Donald Thomas
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Good question

There is not much data on this.
We do know healing progresses rapidly for six weeks and slowly for more part of the answers depends on why and where you need to travel, how extensive your surgery was and how you are doing clinically. Lifting and stress on he wound are major issues. Many patients know when they feel better and are willing to travel. Bottom line i would ask your surgeon.

In brief: Good question

There is not much data on this.
Dr. Donald Thomas
Dr. Donald Thomas
Dr. Robert Binford
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Depends

It depends on a few things.
How sick and deconditioned were you before your surgery? Was your operative recovery uneventful? How are you traveling? How long are you traveling? Where are you traveling? What healthcare is nearby? These questions are some of what i consider. Personally I have let some travel in a couple weeks. Other i haven't let travel for a couple of months.

In brief: Depends

It depends on a few things.
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Travel Medicine

In brief: It depends

Your ability to travel depends both upon exactly what heart procedure you had and how you plan on traveling.
Car travel includes use of shoulder seat belts which may put pressure on your chest. While air travel has both lower cabin oxygen levels while in flight and the stress of traveling (anxiety, security measures, delays etc). Guidelines have been established to help your doctor advise you.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Sarah Kohl