How many arteries can be treated with a heart bypass?

Dr. Irv Loh
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Can vs. Should
Since coronary artery disease can affect all the major coronary arteries, the presence of significant blockage may occur in many vessels & branches.
So the answer is dependent on the skill & courage of the operators, whether it be angioplasties & stents, or coronary artery bypass by arterial or venous grafts. Most patients get less than 6, but i've had colleagues that did up to 15 (in 1 patient).

In brief: Can vs. Should
Dr. Irv Loh
Dr. Irv Loh
Dr. Robert Binford
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: As many as needed
There are three main arteries to the heart but many branches.
There really is no theoretical limit to the number of bypasses. On average i would say 3-5 is typical. I have done more but not near as often. The most I have seen is 10!

In brief: As many as needed
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Steven Seres