How can I get my kids to do household chores without pay?

In brief: Define pay

I find many parents fall into the routine of providing optional favors to their kids because they are expected.
Transporting them to practice is optional, since they could get a ride from a friend, or just not go. Signing off on a school trip is optional, since they could stay behind and read in the library.Teaching them to value your time and pay you back (chores) takes practice but is worth it.

In brief: Define pay

Dr. Terri Graham

In brief: Family meeting

Start with a family meeting and let everyone know you are part of a team. Let everyone know you need help and ask your kids what they want to do to help.
Make a list of simple chores that need to be done daily. Kids actually want to help but don't know where to start. Leading the discussion in a group way lets them take ownership and self select. Let go of perfect and go for team!

In brief: Family meeting

Dr. Terri Graham
Dr. Terri Graham
Dr. Shontae Buffington