Why do my knees hurt after playing sports?

Many possibilities. There are many possible answers to your question depending on what sports, and what is your age, sex, body build and fitness level. If you are older (or younger) you may have some arthritis or you may simply not be in appropriate condition for the sport you are participating in.
Many possibilities. Most likely it is due to overuse, but it could be due to a lot of different reasons. Knee pain can be due to gout, infection, or due to tendon, cartilage, or bone abnormalities. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.