What causes headaches to increase during pregnancy?

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Hormones.

Estrogen and Progesterone skyrocket during pregnancy and lower the migraine and headache threshold for predisposed women.
Obese women can have pseudotumor cerebri and any woman may have preeclampsia. Stress can always cause tension headache. Acetaminophen (+/- codeine) is the mainstay of therapy during pregnancy. Metoclopramide 10 mg when taken with tylenol (acetaminophen) 1000 mg is very effective and safe!

In brief: Hormones.

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Pam Yoder

In brief: Preeclampsia worries

I wrote the first answer to this, but after being posted my answer (and my agrees) went into the ethernet.
I would be happy to followup on it if desired. Another option is to enter the words "headaches pregnancy" in search to find other answers.

In brief: Preeclampsia worries

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Same causes +unique

All usual causes can occur during pregnancy, however, there are unique causes that may be serious.
A hypertensive reaction, state of sodium (salt) retention that increases bp, a disorder called eclampsia or per-eclampsia with severe edema and/or BP and/or form of nephritis all could lead to headache. So, if any persistent ha, check with ob, who may request medical consultation with internist.

In brief: Same causes +unique

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen

In brief: Headaches

Headaches in pregnancy can be related to the hormonal changes which occur early in pregnancy, especially for women with migraine headaches.
Frequency of headaches can increase early in pregnancy and then as pregnancy progresses decrease in frequency. Headaches in late pregnancy can be a sign of the pregnancy complication pre-eclampsia. Late pregnancy headaches are warning signs to call your doctor.

In brief: Headaches

Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Vikram Patel