How is schizoaffective disorder different from schizophrenia?

Mood symptoms. Both disorders have prominent distortions of reality, with hallucination, delusions, and problems with thought processes. However, schizoaffective disorder also has prominent mood symptoms, depresison or mania, that occur in the same timeframe. Schizophrenia can have some associated mood disturbance, but usually not during the episode.
They're similar. Officially, schizophrenia is a thought disorder characterized by psychosis which consists of hallucinations and/or delusions. Schizoaffective disorder is when a person fulfills diagnostic criteria for a mood disorder plus has periods of psychosis during times when the mood disorder symptoms are not present. There are two types of schizoaffective, bipolar & depressed types.