Can nutrition help treat mood disorders?

Dr. Brad Bobrin

In brief: Probably

Although the studies with different nutrients are inconclusive, it is always preferable to keep a well balanced diet, with supplements if you don't eat certain foods like meat and fish or vegetables.
I often recommend making sure that b12, folate, (folic acid) thiamin and omega 3 fatty acid supplements are considered, esp in hard to treat mood disorders.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Brad Bobrin
Dr. Brad Bobrin
Dr. Rick Kirschner
General Practice

In brief: Yes, most likely

Health status generally, and nutrition specifically, is intimately connected to mood.
Yet doctors often overlook the importance of it. Consider that there are eating patterns related to emotional states, and some nutrients are depleted by certain drugs. Improving health through better nutrition is likely to improve mood.

In brief: Yes, most likely

Dr. Rick Kirschner
Dr. Rick Kirschner
Dr. Rick Kirschner
Eating healthy fats, having enough magnesium and B vitamins in your diet, and minimizing dietary sugar and simple carbs (or keeping your blood sugar in balance) will help.