How is delirium treated?

Dr. Shabbir Hossain

In brief: Treat cause

Delireum can be caused by alot of things.
Infection, medication, anesthesia? It's a pretty long list. You have to treat the underlying cause.

In brief: Treat cause

Dr. Ruth Seaman
We prefer to use the term precipitant. Causality is reserved for scientifically-proven etiology which we do not have in acute-brain failure delirium. There are modifiable precipitants (i.e. anti-cholinergic meds, UTI, hypoxia) and non-modifiable (age, brain atrophy). Drug or alcohol withdrawal delirium is a different beast biologically and is addressed accordingly.
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric

In brief: Search for cause

First, search for and treat the underlying cause, reorient the person frequently, reassure and educate families, keep the person hydrated, get the person out of bed if possible, avoid medications known to make things worse.
Antipsychotic medications have been shown to treat and prevent delirium.

In brief: Search for cause

Dr. Donald Jacobson
I went through delirium once. It was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. Thank God for Abilify!