What are the causes of high triglycerides and low hdl?

Sweets & alcohol. Most common cause is high intake of sweets (candy, juice, pop, gatorade, etc.), uncontrolled diabetes (high blood sugar), and consumption of alcohol (which our body process as a type of sugar). Avoid sweets, especially those in liquid form, control diabetes (if you have it), limit alcohol to 1-2 drinks per day at most. Exercise at least 5 days a week, keep a healthy weight.
Many. Diabetes, pre- diabetes, dysmetabolic syndrome, genetics, poor diet to name a few.
Bad diet. Metabolic syndrome is very preventable. Excessive sugar and carbohydrate intake cause high blood sugar levels, which then make your Insulin levels rise. Over time the chronically high Insulin levels lead to Insulin resistance and you will need to make higher and higher levels of Insulin to maintain normal blood sugar. The sugars must be stored as triglceridethis raises triglycerides and lowers hdl.
See below. Diabetes, out of control blood sugar, unlucky genes, a high fat diet, being overweight, smoking being sedentary.