Will pulmonary hypertension run in families?

Potentially. Potentially but is is very rare. Likely less than 1 in a million. There is a mutation that is frequent among patient with unexplained pulmonary htn, formally termed idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. Current research is focused on identifying potential target of therapy that involve the genes related to familial pulmonary htn.
Sometimes. There are some inherited forms of pulmonary hypertension that are very rare but pulmonary hypertension can result from certain collagen vascular diseases like scleroderma and sometimes these run in families.
PAH may be inherited. Up to 5% of patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (pah) may have a genetic or heritable cause. Research studies have identified a genetic abnormality affecting bone morphogenetic protein receptor 2 (bmpr2) that appears to predispose a patient to pah. Fortunately, even if an individual inherits the abnormal gene, the likelihood of developing pah is only 1 in 5.

Related Questions

My daughter has cchs- her dr seems puzzled when we explain that her o2 sats run low, while still maintaining an appropriate co2 level. The best they have come up with is malacia- she shows no signs of pulmonary hypertension. What else should we have rul

A few things. As you know, cchs is a rare condition and is not fully understood. There are a number of diseases that are associated with and syndromic with cchs. An example is hirschprungs disease, which seems to share a link with an underlying genetic defect that also can cause cchs. The best way to evaluate is a pulmonoligist affiliated with a children's hospital that has a wide range of subspecialities. Read more...
CCHS. I presume you are referring to congenital central hypoventilation syndrome. Cchs is a multisystem disorder of the central nervous system where, most dramatically, the automatic control of breathing is absent or impaired. A cchs patient’s respiratory response to low blood oxygen saturation (hypoxia) or to co2 retention (hypercapnia) is abnormal. I suggest you seek out a specialist in cchs. Read more...