Must I seek immediate help if I have acute epiglottitis?

Dr. Cindy Juster
In brief: Absolutely!!
In epiglottitis, the epiglottis (which comes off the back of the tongue deep in the throat) and surrounding area is infected and swollen.
This can completely block the airway, which can cause death. Symptoms can also include sore throat, difficulty swallowing, fever, and muffled voice. If you suspect epiglottitis, you need to be seen at the hospital immediately.

In brief: Absolutely!!
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine
Epiglottitis can be life threatening if airway suddenly closes.
Need to have emergency care and monitoring of oxygenation, possibly intubation if condition deteriorates.Sometimes tracheostomy. Need proper antibiotic therapy if cause is from infecting organism.

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell