How will a doctor examine me for tennis elbow?

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Physical Exam
A doctor will examine your entire arm, and possibly your neck to determine the source of your pain.
Inspecting the elbow, palpating the various areas of the elbow to see if pain occurs, checking motion and strength will help determine the diagnosis.

In brief: Physical Exam
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Tennis elbow
My exam begins with careful history.
That dictates what i look for on exam. Inspection, measure range of motion of elbow and forearm, as well strength. Typical findings include tenderness over lateral (outside) part of elbow, increased pain with resisted wrist extension, and a positive "piano key sign". With elbow and wrist straight, examine strength of long finger extension against resistance.

In brief: Tennis elbow
My exam begins with careful history.
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine