What's flail chest caused by?

Dr. Jason Adler
Pediatrics - Critical Care

In brief: Trauma

Flail chest is caused by trauma to the chest, typically blunt force injury.
The ribs are broken with this injury creating a situation in which it can be quite painful to breathe. Underlying injuries to the lungs and heart and structures in the chest may be associated with this and can help determine the managent strategy required.

In brief: Trauma

Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Trauma

Flail chest is caused by trauma.
Overwhelmingly the vast majority of these patients have some sort of car accident or motorcycle accident. My hospital is quite busy fixing these, and we only have a few other etiologies.

In brief: Trauma

Flail chest is caused by trauma.
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Dr. Mithil Gajera
Critical Care

In brief: Fracture of ribs

Fracture of minimumf 2-3 or more consecutive rib at minimum two location.
That cause segment of chest wall to move independent to rest of chest wall. Serious condition.

In brief: Fracture of ribs

Dr. Mithil Gajera
Dr. Mithil Gajera