When must I call my wife if I will have a below the knee amputation?

No Criteria. Interestingly, there are actually no specific criteria to guide doctors as to when amputation is necessary. I agree with doctor however, the expertise and knowledge of the treating physician is probably the greatest factor in amputations. I strongly recommend patients who are "sentenced" to amputation get at least 3 to 4 opinions including one from a wound care expert. We save limbs and lives.
Yesterday ! It seems strange to me that anyone would go through a significant medical or surgical problem, and not share with their spouse. Perhaps you are overseas in the armed service and have been injured and require a bk amputation. If so, i would think there is a standard procedure for notifying your family of your injuries and the treatment necessary.