What's so bad about high blood pressure? Is it really that harmful?

Yes over years. Over years and decades untreated blood pressure can cause heart attack, stroke, chf, and kidney failure as well as blindness.
For sure! Pandora, it is truly like opening pandora's box! it the leading cause of congestive heart failure, stroke, atrial fibrillation, and kidney failure. It is a major risk factor for heart attack and eye disease. Yes, it's a very treatable and preventable factor and it's control has been instrumental in prolonging our life expectancy in the 20th century!