What is breastfeeding on demand?

Dr. Melissa Arca

In brief: Feeding when hungry

Breastfeeding on demand means tuning into a baby's hunger cues and feeding her when she starts "telling" you she is hungry.
Look for alert periods, smacking lips, making sucking sounds, turning toward the breast, or sucking on her hand as hunger cues. Once a baby starts crying, she is usually really hungry. Breastfeeding on demand is a wonderful way to naturally build up a great milk supply.

In brief: Feeding when hungry

Dr. Melissa Arca
Dr. Melissa Arca

In brief: Matter of semantics

The idea of feeding on demand refers to letting baby initiate all feeding events 24/7.
This implies that baby understands how to maximize their sleep/feed/grow pattern. I find the idea a bit odd since babies are wired to suckle by reflex and aren't aware of sleep.Moms can help guide baby into a jointly derived schedule that meets the needs of both based on moms understanding of babies needs.

In brief: Matter of semantics