How would know that my doctor is listening to me whild looking at his ipad?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Difficult
The adoption of electronic medical records has definitely impeded communication between doctors and patients.
If the train of thought you are presenting seems lost on the doctor in further talk, then he is concentrating on the equipment and not on you. He may have no choice as the computers need to be satisfied before the next patient.

In brief: Difficult
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Stop talking
Your doctor will have to look at you if you just stop talking.
And sometimes that's what it takes. Then ask if you could please have his undivided attention because what you're saying is important. Your doctor is not really listening in heartfelt way if he is looking at his ipad. He needs to look you in the eyes to really be present and attentive to what you are saying.

In brief: Stop talking
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Buck Parker