What's wrong with healthcare and medicine costs today?

Dr. Kathy Nieder
In brief: Lots!
Do you want this answer alphabetically, chronologically or just as it comes to mind? -too many expensive and unnecessary procedures -rvu system penalizes docs for spending time and rewards proceduralists -pharmaceutical companies push expensive drugs on naive patients through the media -large amounts of money spent on often useless and unwanted end-of-life procedures -for profit insurance company.

In brief: Lots!
Dr. Kathy Nieder
Dr. Kathy Nieder
Dr. Denise Elser
Gynecology
In brief: Agree w/others
Need an emr that every doc can access to avoid repetitive testing & procedures.
Medical liability reform to stop tests/ procedures only ordered for fear of frivolous lawsuit. Too many expensive tests & procedures done w/o clear benefit. Absolutely agree with using more compassion at end of life.

In brief: Agree w/others
Dr. Denise Elser
Dr. Denise Elser
Dr. Barry Rosen
We spend, on average, 4x more per person on healthcare for the elderly than any other developed country, with healthcare outcomes that are worse.
Dr. Simon Kimm
Urology
In brief: No incentive to save
Healthcare in the us is a system of complex relationships between government, providers, industry, & insurers that historically has not contained costs well.
Economic, legal, demographic & cultural pressures have long incentivized higher priced care; encouraging more tests, procedures, specialists, costly drugs & less preventative care & generic drugs; in an aging, increasingly morbid population.

In brief: No incentive to save
Dr. Simon Kimm
Dr. Simon Kimm
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: To add to
Dr rosen's excellent answer, we often select the most expensive options without evidence that there is benefit worth the price.
Farid zaccharia just aired an excellent cnn special with other country's solutions. We have the most expensive system, and we do not get our money's worth. We are the on;y nation linking employment to health insurance.

In brief: To add to
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: System Broke(n)
Let's see...We spend more than any other country in the world per capita on healthcare (18% of gdp, twice that of japan), 50% of which is spent on only 5% of the population, our life expectancy is ~30th in the world, 40% of our population is un(der)insured, and the who lists us as the 37th best country for care, just behind costa rica! why? Only 5% of our healthcare $$ are spent on prevention.

In brief: System Broke(n)
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Bravo, Dr. Rosen. Excellent answer.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
In brief: See prior answers
I can't talk about this further, because my blood will start boiling, my blood pressure will go up, i'll end up with a heart attack, i'll croak, my children will be fatherless, but most seriously--my wife will kill me for all this pecking on my ipad-:).

In brief: See prior answers
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Costs
400 characters is not enough to be able to answer this question.

In brief: Costs
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry
In brief: Too high
Premiums keep rising, co-payments are going up at an unbelievable pace.
I do not feel it is sustainable for most. It is interesting that with all the hikes in cost of the care the doctors rarely see any of the money. We are all making money for the insurance companies.

In brief: Too high
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Vicken Poochikian