How would begin stretching my stiff neck?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: See PT, physiatrist

If the neck is really stiff or limited rom, it is wise for someone to see a provider in physical medicine before undertaking a new exercise regimen, yoga classes, etc.
Perhaps a call to a primary care provider can result in a referral to the correct person.

In brief: See PT, physiatrist

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
2 comments
Your first and foremost responsibility to yourself is to find some form of physical exercise that you like, and do it. Good luck. Take charge.
Dr. Pam Yoder
I began seeing a McKenzie-certified PT, and within two sessions my ROM and flexibility began to return to normal. She is helping me learn exercises to overcome bad posture from sitting at computers for 15 years so that my next 30 are pain-free and active.
Dr. Mandakini Patel

In brief: Stiff neck

First you should see you doctor. If your doc says it is okay for you todo strretches, yoga helps a lot more than regular stretches alone.
Have your docotr send you toa phsyical thrapy place and learn the stretches there and complement wiht yoga- yoga has good neck exercises that help releive the stiffness fora more prolonged time.

In brief: Stiff neck

Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Mandakini Patel
Dr. Cindy Juster