If I have stitches, how would I clean my wound?

In brief: Simple cleaning OK
Many wounds will continue to ooze a bit of serum after closure & that can build up & provide food for skin germs that could later invade & infect it.
A brief cleaning of the area with soap & water or peroxide being sure to leave it dry can remove the serum & prevent infection. Working around stitches with a wet q tip is also helpful.

In brief: Simple cleaning OK
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care
In brief: Talk to your surgeon
I typically place a sterile dressing over the incision for 48 hrs.
Then i instruct the pt to remove and wash the area with soap and water, pat dry. If there are any concerns they are to call me.

In brief: Talk to your surgeon
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry
In brief: Consult your surgeon
Wound care instructions should be obtained from a physician who has inspected your wound.
Not all wounds are the same and not all will have the same treatment. Generally however, the wound site should be regularly cleansed with sterile saline or a wound cleanser. Deeper more involved wounds with signs of infection may require oral antibiotics. Consult with your physician for a plan of care.

In brief: Consult your surgeon
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care