How can I reduce my risk of developing fibromyalgia if my mom hasi t?

Dr. Andrew Ho
In brief: Regular exercise
Exercise is an important component of fibromyalgia treatment.
Highly likely it can also be helpful in prevention. Especially for fibromyalgia, goal of exercise is to maintain flexibility and tone. Try not to over exert and cause muscle injuries. Better to go slow and regular, rather than binge on exercise.

In brief: Regular exercise
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Michele Arnold
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Activity, good sleep
You sadly have little control over whether you will or will not develop fibromyalgia, & you are correct by guessing that your are at increased risk of developing it.
You can minimize the impact of possible fibromyalgia by maintaining your body weight, engaging in a regular (daily) exercise program, maintaining flexibility with a stretching program, and getting predictable quality sleep. Stay fit!

In brief: Activity, good sleep
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Many ways
30's year old queries how to avoid FM In that his mother had FM. FM does have familial relationships related to loose joints, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS) see Brighton Criteria.
If JHS, then keep wt. low, keep muscles toned w. exercise, pursue Yoga, biofeedback, vitamins D supplementation, aqua therapy, and mindfulness therapies.

In brief: Many ways
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Jane Van Dis