Why is fibromyalgia so suspicious?

Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: It's not
It's not; it's only undereducated critics.

In brief: It's not
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Siegfried Schmidt
It is only suspicious to the ones that have no pain (can't imagine that one can have so much pain and nothing physical can be seen), and the ones that do not understand the increasing evidence supporting that FM exists. The lack of an easy test/"objective test" makes it hard for people to recognize that FM is real. In addition it is more of a "spectrum disorder", rather than a concrete disease like cancer.
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: See below
I would use the work controversial instead of suspicious.
Many doctors do not believe fibromyalgia exists because there are no blood tests to diagnose it and the cause has never been established. This is like many conditions that earlier in the 20th century or even before were believed to be "fake" because of lack of objective evidence. I believe someday, we will have more definitive information.

In brief: See below
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care
In brief: Fibromyalgia is real
The trouble is we doctors are trained to get evidence from clear clinical signs, x-rays labs and other technological studies.
So far there is no effective diagnostic study other than carefully questioning and examining your patient. (something that needs done on all our patients anyway).

In brief: Fibromyalgia is real
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Ignorance
There has been no test or imaging study to clinch diagnosis.
Sufferers are obviously beset with dejection & complaint. Harried doctors are unable to solve a problem that requires about an hour of conversation & 30 minute physical examination to gather subtle clues and clinical proof. Many doctors, confronted by psychological symptoms conveniently enlist these as "cause(s)".

In brief: Ignorance
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The unifying genetic relationship in fibromyalgia is probably Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS), a known genetic condition.  I have noted that a good portion of female fibromyalgia sufferers satisfy the Bristol Criteria for JHS, and are able to oppose thumb to lateral radial skin, hyperextended elbows and knees, and can place their palms on the floor with knees locked.  Most could put their feet behind their head and back bridge as youngsters and many can do so as adults.  JHS is a disorder with a spectrum of penetrance; with Marfans and Ehlers-Danlos at the clinical severity end of the spectrum.  My speculation is that the trait is conserved in females because it increases pelvic joint (SIJ and symphysis pubis) flexibility during childbirth.  Many of my patients with fibromyalgia and subclinical JHS delivered their fourth or fifth child in minutes rather than hours.  I speculate that repetitive childbirth, in conjunction with the hormone Relaxin, progressively loosens pelvic ligaments.  This functionality would seem to favor infant survivability.  To my mind fibromyalgia results from the effects of a loose ligament-skeletal system attempting to maintain a medial center of gravity via chronic muscle spasm leading to widespread ischemic trigger points (after the work of Shah at NIH).
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Fibromyalgia
If you mean suspicious, as in suspicious of whether or not it actually exists, I would say the prime culprit is ignorance, generally speaking.
Things that are not readily diagnosable, out of the western world medical mainstream, or that have gotten a great deal of press as a "vogue diagnosis" aggravate this tendency. It doe not make fibro any less real to the sufferer.

In brief: Fibromyalgia
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Vikram Patel