Are my fibromyalgia symptoms all in my head like they said?

Dr. Andrew Ho
In brief: Both
The way i see it is that brain and body are connected.
In fibromyalgia, you have symptoms that come from both the body and the brain. Furthermore, they feed on each other causing escalation of symptom severity. This is the rationale behind multi-modal treatment: by helping both the body and the mind, you have the best chance of disrupting the feed-forward loop.

In brief: Both
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The unifying genetic relationship in fibromyalgia is probably Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS), a known genetic condition.  I have noted that a good portion of female fibromyalgia sufferers satisfy the Bristol Criteria for JHS, and are able to oppose thumb to lateral radial skin, hyperextended elbows and knees, and can place their palms on the floor with knees locked.  Most could put their feet behind their head and back bridge as youngsters and many can do so as adults.  JHS is a disorder with a spectrum of penetrance; with Marfans and Ehlers-Danlos at the clinical severity end of the spectrum.  My speculation is that the trait is conserved in females because it increases pelvic joint (SIJ and symphysis pubis) flexibility during childbirth.  Many of my patients with fibromyalgia and subclinical JHS delivered their fourth or fifth child in minutes rather than hours.  I speculate that repetitive childbirth, in conjunction with the hormone Relaxin, progressively loosens pelvic ligaments.  This functionality would seem to favor infant survivability.  To my mind fibromyalgia results from the effects of a loose ligament-skeletal system attempting to maintain a medial center of gravity via chronic muscle spasm leading to widespread ischemic trigger points (after the work of Shah at NIH).
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: No
"all in your head" implies anxiety or neurosis or psychosomatic symptoms.
The widespread pain may have a neurologic basis such as imbalance in brain chemicals. However, it is not the same as anxiety or depression. The key is weight control, exercise, and if necessary, medications to control the symptoms of fibromyalgia.

In brief: No
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Baloney!
? fibromyalgia pain "all in my head".
"Peripheral vs. central" is controversy. Academia bets elusive centralized brain functions causal. Despite peripheral pain aroused by motion & pressure, Neurologists deny peripheral neuropathy; even though painful trigger points shown anoxic, ischemic, & w. reactive substances. Pain-driven sleeplessness fosters depression & confusion misconstrued as "mental".

In brief: Baloney!
? fibromyalgia pain "all in my head".
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley