Is fibromyalgia a lifelong illness?

Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: No, it is usually tr
It is usually treatable. Find a knowledgeable physiciane.

In brief: No, it is usually tr
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Not Usually
The disorder is more commonly found amongst women in early adulthood and middle age.
I believe this is explained because with age the pelvic joints undergo syndesmosis ( fuse) naturally, thereby negating sacroiliac joint instability, which I have identified as the primary cause of fibromyalgia. See complete discussion on my chronic pain board at quora.Com.

In brief: Not Usually
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The reason for a "spectrum of disorder" for fibromyalgia is that the cause, pelvic girdle instability due to pelvic ligament laxity, manifests differently in individuals & genders.  The body musculoskeletal tower is constantly stressed by gravity & a body tilted above an unstable pelvis incurs widely ranging chronic muscle spasm leading to varying densities of painful trigger points. The delicate female pelvis is more easily injured & women have an higher incidence of Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (inherited trait) that contributes to pelvis instability.  Female pelvices are subject to varying intensities of permanent injury related to frequency of childbirth.  In both sexes, severity of symptoms is a function of musculoskeletal deconditioning & upper body mass borne by an unstable pelvis.  On a Pain Board at Quora.com a medical researcher discusses these dynamics, which are the true cause of fibromyalgia.