Can fibromyalgia be prevented or treated?

Dr. Andrew Ho
In brief: Can be treated
Not clear whether fibromyalgia can be prevented.
It can definitely be treated with multi-modal approach, including exercise, medications.

In brief: Can be treated
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
The cause appears to be low back injuries, being female, having joint hyprermobility syndrome, and having had multiple childbirths.
Therefore, preventative care is to avoid these experiences.

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The unifying genetic relationship in fibromyalgia is probably Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS), a known genetic condition.  I have noted that a good portion of female fibromyalgia sufferers satisfy the Bristol Criteria for JHS, and are able to oppose thumb to lateral radial skin, hyperextended elbows and knees, and can place their palms on the floor with knees locked.  Most could put their feet behind their head and back bridge as youngsters and many can do so as adults.  JHS is a disorder with a spectrum of penetrance; with Marfans and Ehlers-Danlos at the clinical severity end of the spectrum.  My speculation is that the trait is conserved in females because it increases pelvic joint (SIJ and symphysis pubis) flexibility during childbirth.  Many of my patients with fibromyalgia and subclinical JHS delivered their fourth or fifth child in minutes rather than hours.  I speculate that repetitive childbirth, in conjunction with the hormone Relaxin, progressively loosens pelvic ligaments.  This functionality would seem to favor infant survivability.  To my mind fibromyalgia results from the effects of a loose ligament-skeletal system attempting to maintain a medial center of gravity via chronic muscle spasm leading to widespread ischemic trigger points (after the work of Shah at NIH).
Dr. Eric Weisman