How do ACE inhibitors help with chf?

Dr. Howard Rubin
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: ACE-I
Reduces the resistance against which the failing heart has to pump, reduces the internal renin angiotensin aldosterone hormones that are increased with heart failure and can cause more problems, thus reduces the mortality of heart failure.

In brief: ACE-I
Dr. Howard Rubin
Dr. Howard Rubin
Dr. Mark Stern
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: They ease work load
They lower the amount of work that the heart has to do by lowering resistance to blood flow out of the heart.
This is called unloading the heart. It's like a water pump pumping downhill instead of up hill; less work.

In brief: They ease work load
Dr. Mark Stern
Dr. Mark Stern
Dr. Andrew Kaplan
They also block hormones that may lead to abnormal enlargement and thickening of the heart, causing a negative spiral of cardiac function.
Dr. Adam Smith