How does retinal detachment affect my vision?

Depends on Location. The symptoms that a patient experiences are progressive loss or greying; of vision which may involve the central vision. This may be proceeded by flashes and floaters. How severe the vision loss is depends on where there rd is in the retina and how large it is. Some small detachments may not be symptomatic.
Peripheral vision. A patient with a detached retina will be aware of a gradual loss of peripheral vision in one eye, often described as a "curtain" coming across the edges of the visual field. This is an urgent problem which should be checked asap, and usually repaired in a short time frame. Fortunately, most retinal detachments can be successfully reattached by a vitreo-retinal surgeon, often with return of vision.