Must I call my doctor or ambulance if I have retinal detachment?

See EyeMD. See your ophthalmologist asap to diagnose an rd if you have symptoms of flashing lights, floaters, and vision loss. If you have other ways of getting to the doctor, an ambulance isn't necessary.
Eye Doctor. Ambulance not helpful or necessary for a retinal detachment evlaution. Call your ophthalmologist, or if you don't have one, get a referral from your primary medical doctor or the closest emergency room. You can usually be seen as an office patient, within a short time, if you explain your symptoms to the receptionist or office nurse. You may be referred to a vitreoretinal specialist if you have rd.