What can I do to prevent retinal detachment?

Know your risks. If you are very near sighted, had a retinal detachment in the other eye, and have a family history of retinal detachment, then you are at a high risk. If you have had a recent vitreous separation, and have flashes and floaters, you are also at risk. In both cases, you should be followed by an ophthalmologist closely.
Retianl detachment. There is not much/anything you can do to prevent retinal detachment. Except possibly avoid trauma to the head or eye (still uncommon with trauma). Risk factors for people more likely to have a retinal detachment are very near sighted people, family history, surgery to the eye, some genetic conditions (marfan's syndrome). Follow regularly as recommended by your ophthalmologist.