How will a radioactive iodine uptake test diagnose goiter?

It will not. An i131 test does not "diagnose" goiter. Goiter is just a term meaning an enlarged and/or nodular thyroid. An i131 scan is a "fucntional" scan. It is used to determine if a nodule within the thyroid is "hot" - picks up a lot of iodine: hyper-metabolic. A "cold" nodule does not concentrate the iodine: hypometabolic. There is a lower risk of thyroid cancer in "hot" nodules.
Determines size... And function. The uptake portion of the exam will usually be able to tell if the gland is under or over active. The images help determing if a nodule is hot or cold, which help determine what the nodule is. The test should be reviewed with thyroid function tests and ultrasound when possible.