Can you join the us military with a coarctation of the aorta?

Dr. Rodolfo Farhy
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Aorta coarctation

I do not believe that the army will allow you to join ranks.
Aortic coarctation is a condition that often requieres surgery at early age and patients need a very good blood pressure control often with medications. You might need to choose a different carreer.

In brief: Aorta coarctation

Dr. Rodolfo Farhy
Dr. Rodolfo Farhy
Dr. Elden Rand
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Not without a waiver

At least in the army- not without review and separate approval.
This is a condition which can not be in the military without a waiver: h. Current or history of congenital anomalies of heart and great vessels (746), except for corrected patent ductus arteriosus, do not meet the standard. Reference: ar40-501 standards of medical fitness.

In brief: Not without a waiver

Dr. Elden Rand
Dr. Elden Rand
Dr. Steven Neish
Patients with coarctation will not receive a waiver.