Must I call my doctor if I have a pilonidal cyst?

Dr. Ly Phan
Surgery
In brief: Not necessary
Although if you discover the cyst you can be eval by a surgeon for elective excision of the cyst to prevent future complication such as infection and abscess.

In brief: Not necessary
Dr. Ly Phan
Dr. Ly Phan
Dr. Scott Lippe
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Pilonidal cysts
Pilonidal cysts - the good the bad and the ugly if they are enlarging painful or hurt, or if you have swelling red streaking fevers and chills then you may ride it out with hot compresses.
They usually come back. If you have any pain or signs of infection then you will talk with a doctor sooner or later, and sooner is easier for you in the long run!

In brief: Pilonidal cysts
Dr. Scott Lippe
Dr. Scott Lippe
Dr. Allen Kamrava
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Not necessarily
If it is not infected and stable, then not necessarily.
If you have an active infection, it is hurting, draining, or swollen - than yes. My question is, how do you know it is a pilonidal cyst? Speak with the physician that made this diagnosis for you.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Allen Kamrava
Dr. Allen Kamrava
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery