What does sharp chest pain signify?

Variable. Sharp chest discomfort, especially if only lasting a few seconds, is usually benign and most likely musculoskeletal in origin. Much depends on where it's located, what precipitates it, what symptoms are associated with it, and what relieves it. Simple rest and, if recurrent, antiinflammatories or analgesics may be useful, but if persistent, evaluation by your doctor is prudent.
Chest pain. CP may be due to several reasons: just with quality of pain like sharp chest pain, may not indicate anything specific. You may have to rule out heart attack, angina, pericarditis, aneurysms, pneumonia, pleurisy, acid reflux etc.