What can someone do for a bad cough with chest pain?

Antitussives. The best relief from cough is prescription medication. Usually this comes in two main forms 1) non-narcotic 2) narcotic. Most of the non narcotic forms use antihistamines or affect the cough receptors themselves (ie benzonoate). Narcotic cough medications usually contain either Codeine or a synthetic Codeine (like hydrocodone).
Needs Eval... Depending on how long the cough has been present, the chest pain is likely musculoskeletal especially if it worsens with coughing or deep breathing. The etiology of the cough needs to be determined so therapy can be initiated. A doctor needs to evaluate the cough and testing may be needed to diagnose and treat the cough.