When are the best times to check my blood sugar levels to manage my diabetes?

Dr. Laura Arbogast
In brief: Am
I have my patients check their sugar levels first thing in the monring before eating and also 2 hours after one of their meals if they're not on insulin.
If they're on Insulin then it's am and before all meals and bedtime.

In brief: Am
Dr. Laura Arbogast
Dr. Laura Arbogast
Dr. Richard Shewbridge
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: It depends!
You should discuss this with your personal physician.
Generally, a fasting reading is valued because it speaks to how your sugar level is after a period of overnight fasting. Other before-meal readings are also valued. Harder to remember to check are 2 hour after-meal readings, which show how a meal has affected your glucose level. If you've splurged, you may be surprised at how high it is!

In brief: It depends!
Dr. Richard Shewbridge
Dr. Richard Shewbridge
Dr. Steven Seres