When must I call an endo doctor if my child has type 1 diabetes?

ASAP. The management of type 1 diabetes is complex and requires a team - patient, family, pediatrician, pedi endo, nutritionist, diabetes educator. Keeping things in check will prevent complications.
Now. Once a DX of type 1 diabetes mellitus is made, one has to live with that disorder for life; it is a chronic disease in which there are inadequate or destroyed pancreatic cells leading to insufficient insulin. In addition to a primary care pediatrician, an endocrinologist should be a partner to help child and family understand exactly what is going on and how to get into good life habits early.