Why would I have pain weeks after my root canal?

Dr. Leonard Pizzolatto
General Practice
In brief: Occlusion
I would have the occlusion checked.
This is the way the tooth hits on the opposing tooth. This can keep a root canal tooth sore. Also, make sure there is no more infection around the tooth. Check adjacent teeth for problems. Sometimes these teeth are in trouble and can refer pain to a different area. Another consideration is that root canal teeth can be sensitive for longer than normal.

In brief: Occlusion
I would have the occlusion checked.
Dr. Leonard Pizzolatto
Dr. Leonard Pizzolatto
Dr. Matt Fulmer
Dentistry
In brief: Several reasons
The most common causes for prolonged pain after a root canal are inflammation present in the periapical (around the root tip) tissue and what we call occlusion (the bite).
The inflammation will go away with time. If the tooth is still hitting the opposite teeth when you close down, the the occlusion needs to be reduced (shorten the tooth do it doesn't hit).

In brief: Several reasons
Dr. Matt Fulmer
Dr. Matt Fulmer
Dr. Gary Alder
There are several reasons but if pain persists beyond 2 weeks follow evaluation and perhaps intervention may be needed. It may be an adjustment, a dose of antibiotic or surgical clean up of the infected area. On rare occasion the root canaled tooth could fracture and have to be removed. In the mean time analgesics, perhaps antibiotic and soft foods will help get you by.
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Many reasons
Sometimes this occurs with root canals and time will heal.
Some reasons for persistent pain is a fractured root, ongoing infection, one of the canals of the tooth was not filled and poorly performed root canal. Consult with your dentist.

In brief: Many reasons
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Shontae Buffington