Can the thyroid cause symptoms of heart pain and shortness of breath?

Yes. If the thyroid is overactive it can cause palpitations and cause blood pressure to go up. The heart can beat faster. One can feel discomfort as a result. These changes can also make one feel short of breath. If the thyroid function is really low, fluid can build up around the heart (rare) & the heart rate can be slow. This can cause shortness of breath too.
Yes but... It certainly could, but those symptoms could be due to any number of problems including some very serious health conditions (heart disease, heart attack, pneumonia, blood clots, etc). If the problem is mild, get it checked out asap. If it is serious, call 911 and get to the er.