How can sorbitol chewing gum help prevent tooth decay?

It can't. It does decrease the amount of glucose your teeth are exposed to, but sorbitol doesn't do anything to the bacteria. Xylitol on the other hand can't be used by the bacteria. It can help decrease cavities. You have to use 6 grams throughout the day: chew multiple pieces :use the spray or drops that are available.
It doesn't. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol- which means that it's a sugar substitute often added to gum. Some bacteria in the mouth can metabolize sorbitol. Though not highly cariogenic ( promotes tooth decay), sorbitol is considered cariogenic. Though better for teeth than regular sugar containing gum, sorbitol containing gum does not help prevent tooth decay.