Are there alternative treatments for mouth cancer besides surgery?

Yes. Surgery is the best treatment for early stages of mouth cancer. More advanced cancers may be treated with radiationl, or a combination of radiation and chemotherapy.
It depends/yes. There are combination therapies, like surgery and radiation or surgery and chemotherapy. If it is recurrent or metastatic, there is palliative therapy, but the outcome is not very good with 15% 5 year survival. Surgery or radiation for mouth cancer at an early stage is likely the best scenario with a 75% 5 year survival.