Does back pain mean I have damaged my spine?

Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Pain Management

In brief: No

There are many causes of back pain.
Most common causes are muscular and these usually resolve in 7-10 days. You need to get concerned if you have associated leg/ buttock pain, weakness, tingling in the legs, incontinence. If the backache does not resolve in 7-10 days please see your md.

In brief: No

There are many causes of back pain.
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: See below

Not all back pain comes from the spine itself.
Some back pani can be related to damage or injury of the spine, some can come from arthritis of the spine. Some can come from muscles that are weak, too long or too short and imbalanced. The spine undergoes normal wear and tear just like every other part of the body. Even when the MRI shows these changes, it does not always mean pain.

In brief: See below

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Vikram Patel