What are nerve blocks like?

Dr. Mark Gujer
Anesthesiology
In brief: Awsome!
As an anesthesiologist and recent recipient of an arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, i loved the excellent pain control i received from by block during the first 24 hrs after surgery.
I only wish it could last longer, but we are working on that in our specialty. I received no sedation for the procedure of the the block and found it to be neither uncomfortable or scary.

In brief: Awsome!
Dr. Mark Gujer
Dr. Mark Gujer
Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology
In brief: Different types
A nerve block is typically used to numb part of the body, for surgery or to relieve pain.
There are different types. Interscalene blocks are often used for shoulder surgery. Femoral blocks can relieve pain after knee surgery. The anesthesiologist identifies the nerve to be blocked with ultrasound or a nerve stimulator, and injects local anesthetic. Both pain and movement are usually blocked.

In brief: Different types
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology
In brief: Different options
There are different kinds.
When used for surgery, they make the part of the body numb--for example, they are often used for shoulder surgery. Often a nerve block is put in to help with postop pain, for total knee replacement as an example. Depending on the medication used, they may block movement as well as sensation. Talk to your anesthesiologist about exactly what kind would be best for you.

In brief: Different options
There are different kinds.
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Vikram Patel