Will glucosamine help osteoarthritis?

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Unknown
I have patients that do believe that glucosamine helps their oa pain.
There is no real evidence that it makes a difference. It does not change the arthritic problem but no medication or supplement does at this time for oa. Occassionally I have seen some relief in knee and hip pain in rare patients.

In brief: Unknown
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: I disagree
Actually there are several well controlled studies, especially in the europeon literature, that conclude glucosamine makes a difference.
Not all studies are favorable. A large study published in 2005 concluded it was no better than placebo. There are 3 studies of which I am aware that suggest glucosamine can retard progression of oa of the knees.

In brief: I disagree
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Adam Smith