How is allergy to poison sumac diagnosed?

Poison ivy. Signs and symptoms of a poison ivy rash include: redness, itching, swelling, blisters, often, the rash looks like a straight line because of the way the plant brushes against the skin. But if you come into contact with a piece of clothing or pet fur that has urushiol on it, the rash may be more spread out.

Related Questions

What increases my risk for allergy to poison sumac?

Not much. Poison sumac is an allergic contact dermatitis. Avoidance is the key so one does not get the rash. Repeated exposure to poison sumac, or any contact allergen, will increase ones sensitivity.

What are ways to help "cure" poison sumac?

No cure, get treated. (toxicodendron dermatitis) aka: poison ivy/oak/sumac causes an itchy blistering reaction of varying degrees in almost everyone who contacts it and fails to wash it off immediately. Seeing a doctor is highly recommended because oral steroids for about 3 weeks in a tapering course will dramatically improve this condition in a few days. Topical soaks to dry the blisters is also helpful. Good luck.

Does poison sumac itch more when it's healing?

It may. The itch can be unbearable I know! There are lots of things going on in the skin during the cleanup process involved with healing after an inflammatory assault. An orchestrated soup of our biochemical mediators are working hard restoring your skin back to the way it was.

Why do people get poison sumac real bad?

Rhus dermatitis. Reaction to the toxic oil, can stay on clothing up to 10 years if not washed in hot water.

How do you identify poison sumac out in the wild?

Not easily! Poison sumac is not very common. It grows only in very wet areas. Identification is not easy. The leaves are smooth not jagged or hairy and there are 7-9 leaves per stem.
Leaves of three... Unfortunately poison sumac is not as easy to recognize as poison ivy and oak. Luckily it is rare in the north and completely absent in many states where it is often confused with other non-toxic sumacs. Here is a link I found that might help. Though I don't recommend it, one way is to expose a small area of skin and observe for reactions over 3-7 days. Http://www. Wikihow. Com/identify-poison-sumac.