Do relaxation techniques help a patient in a cardiac rehabilitation program?

Dr. Howard Rubin
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Relaxation

Relaxation techniques are excellent for dealing with responses to psychological stressors so as to blunt the physiologic chemical response to such a stimulus thus decreasing the "flight or fight" increase in heart rate and blood pressure inherent to such.

In brief: Relaxation

Dr. Howard Rubin
Dr. Howard Rubin
Dr. Andrew Kaplan
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Yes I think so

Relaxation and biofeedback help lower adrenaline levels, which is beneficial for a cardiac patient.
Likewise, cardiac rehabilitation improves physiology and lowers overall sympathetic nervous system activity. This reduces risk for heart attack, stroke, and arrhythmias.

In brief: Yes I think so

Dr. Andrew Kaplan
Dr. Andrew Kaplan
Dr. Peter Kurzweil