What is ritalin (methylphenidate)?

Or methylphenidate. Is a stimulant drug used in the treatment of attention deficit disorder (with/without hyperactivity). In add pts, it has the effect of calming down their revving engine so they can concentrate more effectively, complete tasks, not be in constant motion. It's a controlled substance which requires a special prescription in many states.
Stimulant. Ritalin is a name brand of methylphenidate, a stimulant medication often used to treat adhd. It helps the brain keep certain neurotransmitters available so the brain can do what it needs to do: make decisions about things that matter to it. Improvements can be seen in ability to focus, finish tasks, remain calm, problem solve, tolerate frustration, etc. Concerta and Focalin (dexmethylphenidate) xr are other brands.