Painful swelling behind knee. Ultrasound did not detect a bakers cyst or anything else, but its painful and tender, especially in the surrounding area?

Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Still could be Baker
If it is painful it needs further evaluation.
A bakers cyst should easily be seen by ultrasound but sometime the content of the cyst, tissue, synovium, blood, can obscure its deliniation. If x-rays have been ok you may need an MRI but need to consider vascular structures both vein or artery, the posterior knee, cartilage, tumors, etc these are the things to look for.

In brief: Still could be Baker
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Bac Nguyen
In brief: Hamstring tendinitis
You are probably having some trouble with hamstring tendinitis and that is why the ultrasound did not see it.
It is basically inflammation of the hamstring tendons attaching to the outer-back areas of your knee, just as you described. I would re-consult doc for a closer look/exam to confirm. In some case, posterior horn tear (meniscal tear) may cause such pain as well. Consult doc, good luck.

In brief: Hamstring tendinitis
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
You are welcome. Glad I could ease your mind. Good luck with the follow-up.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine