My 11yr daughter stepped wrong while getting of the car.The outer side of foot by pinky is swollen and brusied.What is a good remedy to relieve pain?

Dr. Jeffrey Seiden
Pediatrics - Emergency Medicine
In brief: RICE, and...
she is also at risk for a fracture of her fifth metatarsal bone.
This should probably be x-rayed in order to make sure it's just a sprain.

In brief: RICE, and...
Dr. Jeffrey Seiden
Dr. Jeffrey Seiden
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry
In brief: RICE
Rest- stay off the foot, ice- apply ice to the foot regularly(i like real ice, place a wet hand towel under an ice bag.
You have to be careful with "blue ice"', it take on the temp of the freezer and can damage the skin if not careful, compression- apply an ace wrap and elevation- try to keep the foot at heart level. If she cannot bear weight, without pain, see your dr. Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Aleve as labeled.

In brief: RICE
Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
In brief: R.I.C.E.
Rest; ice; compression (ace bandage); elevation.
Sounds as tho she may have sprained the foot. Tylenol/nsaid appropriate to her age & weight for pain/inflammation. If no improvement after few days (or if pain & swelling getting worse) see doc for exam & treatment. If there is physical deformity, see doc/er right away for xray.

In brief: R.I.C.E.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Cindy Juster