My son had a spotted deer tic attached to his belly I pulled it off and disinfected it is there anything I should watch for like fever? He is two.

Dr. Daniel Maddox
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Tick bite infections

The type of tick suggests possible risk for Lyme disease.
The rash looks like a target, with concentric rings, which enlarge over several days, and fever may or may not be part of the illness. If there are any signs of rash or fever, then a blood test for Lyme at 3-4 weeks would be something to discuss with your doctor.

In brief: Tick bite infections

Dr. Daniel Maddox
Dr. Daniel Maddox
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Lyme disease

After a tick bite what you should watch for is a rash.
The rash starts as a small red circle then gradually enlarges up to 4-8 inches, as it enlarges part of the central area turns back to normal resulting in a circular rash that looks like a "bullseye" target. Other symptoms would be fever, joint aches, or headaches. If the tick was on for less than 24 hours, the risk is extremely low.

In brief: Lyme disease

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr