How long does bronchitis usually last? :(

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Duration...

Acute bronchitis is usually due to either a viral or bacterial infection.
It typically lasts for about 7-10 days. Chronic bronchitis, a form of copd, has no cure but there is effective treatment.

In brief: Duration...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Colin Kerr
If the bronchitis is associated with wheezing as in asthma or smokers, it can last much longer and be on and off for months at a time. Treat the wheezing if present.
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Bronchitis

Bronchitis, in otherwise healthy people, is supposed to be a 3-5 day illness with heavy cough productive of thick, yellow or green sputum without fever.
If you smoke or have asthma, the cough will be worse and the symptoms will last longer. Unfortunatly many people can run a longer course, even if they're healthy, even up to 4 weeks. My rule of thumb is to recommend an antibioitic after 3-5 days.

In brief: Bronchitis

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr